Sunday, February 25, 2007

Art Linkletter's Picnic

Well, we had the annual Art Linkletter Fan Club picnic and dance yesterday, and sadly, yet again it was only Art and me. I don't feel so bad for myself, because I could watch tv or look out the window all during the day when the festivities were to take place. Poor old Art, nude and sitting on the roof in his accustomed place was looking every day of his 97 years.

These fan club annuals have been getting fewer and fewer participants for years now, and I think Art is finally feeling rather sad about it all.I wouldn't have gone to the trouble of starting the fan club if I thought the fan base would wither so rapidly and depressingly. I had plenty of cold turkey sandwiches, potato chips, and diet root beer, plus records for the dance. I had planned to have all the fans congregate in the back yard, single file, with their faces away from the sun so as to avoid premature aging (I started doing this with Art years ago, and he looks a little younger than his true age).

Plus as a bonus, I had hired some girls from the USO to help the younger men with their dance moves (not to mention a possible date later on, depending on how the evening went).

So now we plan for next year. After coming off the roof and showering, then dressing, putting on his shoes himself, one after the other, successfully making a number two, and then catching the next plane for home, Art called this morning, rather sad, but accepting my invitation for another Fan Club Extravaganza next year.Let's make this one a winner!

1 Comments:

Blogger phil said...

I was there too - across the street, but too shy to come to the party. Maybe next year!

Al

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home