Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Primary In Virginia Today

The polling place was nearly empty this evening as I slunked in to cast my vote. I like it like that for two reasons. I can get in and out easily, and less voters makes mine count all the more.

Not that it makes much of a difference. Today, I voted for peace, freedom, individualism, and Americanism. I voted for Ron Paul. I felt some saddness as I plunked my finger over his name, and prayed that the machines were not rigged. I live in a cheap apartment in a rich neighborhood, so naturally most of the votes will be Democrat. I can't say if the rich liberals here in Ghent near downtown Norfolk will go to Hillary, or Obama. The time has long passed when I can explain to rich liberals of the chi chi set, that they are voting not simply against their class (I do that all the time...No poor man ever gave this poor man a job) but also aginst the economic system that made them fat and rich in the first place.

I find, in all these political days, we must weather a sense of powerlessness, in that skin color, sex, experience, and cleverness seem to rule the debate. Our forefathers had not much political experience. And they created a great nation. We have an electorate that is too often seduced by form over substance.


Oh, Lord, please save us from the liberal guilt that is destroying our nation!

But I have digressed. I voted for not just the only man who has articulated the framework that our founders set down for this nation. I voted for Paul, who has toiled in the fields of liberty for so long with the ideas of Rand, Friedman, Goldwater, Rothbard, Von Mises, and so many other libertarian thinkers who have inched (Back!) oh ever so slowly into our collective mind. People know about liberty now, many of us. We understand that there is a movement called libertarianism.

That is a major step. It's like telling people there is a bible out there. Now we have to get them to read it. The idea(s) of Ron Paul and the libertarian movement are so powerful (agree or disagree) and wide ranging, that if those of us who have understood the criminality of our government for so long can continue to spread those ideas and not get too discouraged that Ron Paul won't be our next president, then there is a place called hope.

Baby steps are steps.Toward freedom and peace and away from statism and wars.

And so we begin again everyday, if need be.

Joe Postove

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home