Friday, July 01, 2005

Sandra Day O'Connor Retires...Joe Postove (Me) Ascends

I realize the primary concern in selecting a new Supreme Court Justice is firstly, whether it will be a dude or a chick. And then once we have a sex, then the president will turn to ideology. Will he/she be a plain right winger or a member of the Flat Earth Society so conservative that she is in danger of falling off by the right side of the world...somewhere near Singapore I think.

Let's dispense with the pretense and get to it. I want the job. I have read the constitution, I understand what it means, and I look pretty good in black. Plus, I'm a Jew. George Bush can't go wrong with a Jew, since his crowd snickers when we are mentioned (I've heard them) and naming an Israelite to the Bench would be a nice sop to the Jewish Lobby (there is one...don't think I'm a bad Jew for pointing this out, but we'uns have a political class that looks after our stuff).

But...I am a Libertarian, BIG "L" and voraciously in pursuit of freedom for me and my fellow man. I picked up the habit when I was hiding from my family on the roof of our apartment in Santa Monica, CA and the only thing to read was some Ayn Rand books. She turned my head around so many times, I thought I was Jerry Mahoney! (may he RIP). She taught me the MORAL basis for capitalism, and individual freedom, and the idea, that no teacher in high school or college ever mentioned, BTW, that I have a right to live for my own sake.

My own what? Said the folks to whom I preached my new found philosophy (I was about 23). "No, Joe, you're being taken in by this selfishness crowd, and this country is based on the concept of neighbor for neighbor and sacrifice to the general welfare". This lead to many arguments where I used the word "bullshit" millions of times, but also caused me, over these years to become even more committed to the values of individualism and the idea that our system was outfitted by the founders for the express purpose of minimizing government and maximizing liberty. And the state could be so tiny, you could fit it in one of George Bush's anal cavities.

I know freedom. And I don't compromise (contrary to "conventional wisdom", compromising one's position on important issues and values is NOT a positive attribute). I'd be willing to sit up there on the court and wait them out, one by one, as the oldsters die off and the new justices come aboard.


I'm not saying one libertarian on the court can bring great change immediately. But, man could I fuck up the government. And until the day comes when Libertarians take power (in order to dissolve it) bringing the federal government to its knees sounds pretty sweet.

So here I am. I'll wait here by the phone.

Joe Postove

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home