Thursday, September 29, 2005

Don Adams RIP

The Cone Of Silence has descended upon the life of Don Adams, and the prospects of another "Get Smart" reunion special have dimmed.

I was too young to appreciate this anarchistic commentary on the idiocy of secrets and spys and the very ordinary people who keep them and make them.
The first time around anyway.

Don Adams, as Maxwell Smart Agent 86 was, I'd bet closer to the truth than either the creator's Buck Henry and Mel Brooks would admit or the real people in government who were subject to this satire would even recognize.

I was only eight years old when the show began on NBC. Then, I thought the funniest thing on the air was Ozzie Nelson. I was pretty stupid. Ozzie was pretty funny, sometimes. But the funnier things about him were things I did not know. Like that he didn't work, and fucked Harriet. That would be funny to see.

But "Get Smart", once I was old enough to appreciate it, became a favorite. Maxwell Smart was a complete ass (in a nice way) and as I became more anti-government in my politics, this show was able to define what I was beginning to think; that there are too many secrets, that the people charged with keeping them were inept, and art DOES imitate life. And "Get Smart" did it extremely well.

Anyone who could come up with a cone of silence that did not work, understood really well the ineptitude of those who chase enemies in the fog.

Joe Postove

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home