Sunday, August 21, 2005

A Gerald Ford Moment?

I was watching "This Week With George Stephanopoulos" this morning when during a round table with Senators Hegel and Allen, both Republican, but with very different views on the war, I believed I heard George Allen gasping for air, desperately trying to right himself from a question that knocked him off his cocky strut. Here is my post to the ABC.COM message board about what I heard. Enjoy!

"During the debate between senators Hegel and Allen (of my state, VA) I believe I heard the sound of Mr. Allen burning and melting as he responded to the problem of Iraqi soldiers having other loyalties besides the central government; that there is the problem of militias and other bodies which the soldiers we are trying to teach to run one country have adjacent adherence to. That until we can correct this significant problem, leaving them to their own destiny won't happen.

Senator Allen immediately chimed in with what I heard to be a "the Soviet Union does not dominate Poland" moment as he seemed to spit and sputter that this is not unlike our own system in America, where the military and our other troops in Iraq ALSO have loyalties to home states and state militias and we can expect this in Iraq. Don't worry be happy, it happens everywhere.

Senator Hegel and George Stephanopoulos seemed very quiet for a few moments there, apparently wanting to clear the decks to give Senator Allen as much room as he needed to calmly and tidily tie his own noose to hoist himself out of serious consideration for "08. Did I hear too much in that? If I heard correctly, am I making too big a deal out of it?"


Joe Postove

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home