Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Was Someone Killed Today?

I was walking into the post office this afternoon when an escapee hanging out at the boxes asked me if someone was killed today.

Certainly there was, but I doubt my friend and I would have in common dead friends. Then I noticed the flag in front of the building was at half staff, and remembered what I had been remembering all day.

I told the man that today is 9/11. He shook his head, and said "oh yeah, damn".

I knew it was 9/11 all day today, and indeed had been anticipating through the last of August till now how our national mourning would manifest itself once the day came. I checked the web this morning. The news was the same, different people, different places, and some of the news sites mentioned that several notable observances would take place in New York, Washington, and Pennsylvania.

Then I got dressed, went to work, listened to NPR recapitulate what we all knew, and were all thinking. And I thought about it during the day, here and there, along with what's for lunch, did I take my pill, and the day as she came.

And then the man at the mail box asked me if someone had been killed today.

Joe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home