Saturday, June 19, 2010

Father's Day

Yesterday I was checking out some movies from the library when the librarian stopped and asked me if I had an Uncle or a Father who used to check out books.

My Dad, dead 17 years tomorrow, on what was also then a Father's Day began to read more as he got older. Not working in retirement and long days getting longer, drew him to the library. He began to treasure his card.

I asked the librarian if she remembered his old key shop at Ward's Corner, or maybe the baseball caps with the names of his grandchildren he now wore everyday. That was it. The nice man with the caps. She smiled broadly at the memory of Dad, quiet, but always ready to take on a conversation, even if he felt ill. I wonder if she noticed my smile. For whenever someone remembers Dad, after all these years, and with so many of his contempoaries gone too, I smile. And cry some.

Irving Postove would be 88 now. Baseball hats and books.

I'll never be a father, but I got my father's day gift yesterday.

Joe




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home