Tuesday, June 01, 2010

RIP Art Linkletter

Not having a TV or Internet connection at home leaves me out of the scheme of breaking news, so it was only today that I found out about the death of Art Linkletter.

I loved him. I feigned illness many times just to stay home, naked and free, in order to watch "Art Linkletter's House Party". Art made me feel good, like someone talking directly to me, and not through me, like today's dumb TV MC's. He was funny, cute with the kids at the end of the show, a consummate broadcaster (one of the very finest...I am hard pressed to name another MC type who was better or more influential than Art). Who needed..who wanted..who cared a damn about learning arithmetic, history and all the other gradeschool bullshit, when Art was on TV teaching us how to be nice. And nice and clever. He had no fear (watch the kids say the darnedest shit sector of the show at the end) and he was smart.

Now you didn't have to be smart to be on TV (watch a 60's sitcom or five) but when one person had all of the qualities of Art Linkletter and every single day he made you feel that the world was just alright man, love was not a strong enough emotion for me. I think I idealized him like good old Loretta Young, but differently, somehow.

His private life was another question, losing a couple of kids tragically, and some more who got old before he died. But I care about as much about Art's private life as I do about his privates (and at 98, they must have been down to his knees).

He was my friend, though I never knew him. He was the best scout leader, though I was never a scout. I could relax with Art, and feel clean afterward.

As you all know, we have been having the annual Art Linkletter picnic and birthday party each year on his birthday, July 12th. This year, I'll just stay in bed, and miss my good good friend.

God bless you Art Linkletter. And thanks for all of the sunshine.

Joe Postove


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home