Saturday, September 11, 2010

Nine Years Ago

It seems like yesterday. And truly it seems like one hundred years ago. The world and everyone in it has changed. Some for good. Not all.

I woke up that morning at about nine. I turned on the "Today Show" and already they were talking about the first plane that had crashed into one of the towers. "Jesus Christ" was my first thought, not terrorism. It was eerie, but not terribly disconcerting. Then, almost in slow motion, I saw another plane. Dumb me thought it might be a New York Fire Department plane to shower down some of the flames. They couldn't have done that anyway.

Then it crashed into the second tower. And everyone knew. And everyone wanted to join up and nuke the guys behind this outrage. I was instant messaging with my friend in Brooklyn who was at work. She went outside and could see the flames and smoke from there. Maddie was very scared. And angry.

Who was it? Why? And what do we do now. How?

Maybe it wasn't such a long time ago.

Joe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home