Saturday, July 10, 2010

Art, Art, Where Art Thou Art?

My Art is dead. No, not the art of my blog which has been on the Internet since 2005. But rather my more important Art. The Art I grew up with and fained illness many times to skip school, so I could watch House Party, his daytime TV show which lasted until about 1970.

I loved him more than even Bob Keeshan. Captain Kangaroo kept me sedated until I was about 15, but when the show left the air, Bob Keeshan became an advocate for government "help" for television. Bob, who became world famous with a bunny rabbit, bear, a couple of big pockets, a moose, and ping pong balls, didn't believe that commercial tv could please kids the way he did my generation. They do, and he was wrong. And besides he just didn't look right without the Captain's suit on. I miss my captain too.

But I'm writing about Art Linkletter. He died a few weeks ago, just short of his 98th birthday. I had the cake, pies, Kool-Aid, shorten and longening breads, whistles, and breadsticks for another great birthday celebration like the ones we'd been having for years.

I miss my Art. On the 12th, I shall do nothing but sit by his favorite window in my apartment and cry.

Come home Art. Please start breathing again. We NEED you.

Joe Postove

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home